The company was founded in 1823 as the first screw factory in Germany. 1829, the company exported to other countries. 1856, the company established to social welfare of its employees as one of the first German companies operating a health insurance company.
In 1866, industrial production and thus the mass production was started and developed the necessary packing and counting machines even after an independent power supply was installed for the factory already since 1857 by its own steam engine with the wood screws fully automatic. In 1867 also the non-cutting method of thread rolling for metric thread was used for the first time.
From 1912 began in the branch Gevelsberg production of nuts and bolts. With the introduction of universal screw Spax in 1966, the company revolutionized the fastener market.
In 1973, the window screw FEX is designed for window construction industry.
Since 1991, the company was founded in 1956 AZ equipment and supplies in Hattingen, in addition to the traditional two production sites in the Westphalian Ennepetal and the ABC Forming in Gevelsberg belongs to Altenloh, Brinck & Co, ABC Group. This had already been promoted in the 1980s and 1990s by a specific construction of distribution companies in England, France, Spain, Poland, Turkey and the USA its international market presence. In 2005 and 2006 two companies were in France – ADL (Paris) and Société des Forges de Froncles (Haute-Marne) acquired.
With the joint formation of the International Alliance Coldforming with Rockford Products Corporation (USA), the Power Steel & Electro-Plating (Malaysia) and the Osaka Rashi Manufacturing Company Ltd. from Japan, the company was founded in 1999 for multinational companies.